Children's Museum of Denver

Find information and reviews for Colorado parents' favorite parks/playground and museums.

Children's Museum of Denver

Postby Lindley on Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:54 pm

The brightly-painted building nestled in downtown Denver has always been one of my family's favorite places to play. I loved it as a child and now I enjoy watching my own son explore and learn with the many creative activities the museum has to offer.

There are some rotating exhibits, including the current Junior Job Site room with several interactive exhibits featuring kid-size construction and utility equipment (complete with a working conveyer belt, pipes, plastic bricks, wheelbarrows, etc.) and an outside exhibit featuring farming equipment. There are also some great permanent features, including a giant fire truck, a grocery store, an assemby plant, a train room, a kiddie basketball court and an arts & crafts room. Whatever your child may be currently into (my son is in a "building" stage right now) there is something creative for them to do at the Children's Museum. I also really like that there are informational charts (English and Spanish versions) in each room suggesting age-appropriate activities that relate to each room theme. Many of the rooms have costumes, giving kids a chance to use their imagination and learn about the world around them on a whole new level. I literally had to drag my son from his "job" on the construction site and he was very proud of the robot toy we constructed together in the Assembly Plant.

There are also story times and craft projects throughout the day and a special Center for the Young Child, filled with stimulating toys for toddlers and babies. The gift shop is filled with interesting toys and souvenirs and there is also a cafeteria on site.

As a budget-conscious mom, I often take advantage of the monthly FREE night. This is a great program sponsored by Target that gives everyone a chance to check out the museum at no cost from 4pm-8pm on the first Tuesday of every month. The museum has also recently expanded their hours on Wednesday and are now open until 7:30 pm to acommodate busy families.

Trick-Or-Treat Street is another event that should not be missed. From 9 am to 8 pm on Wed. Oct. 29th- Fri. Oct. 31st, your children can enjoy a variety of Halloween activities at one of Denver's most interesting (and safest!) Trick-Or-Treating festivities.

Children's Museum of Denver has a number of membership options with many special events and exhibits throughout the year. Generations of my family have always had a blast there, without even realizing that we were learning along the way!

http://www.cmdenver.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
Lindley
Editor

Return to Parks/Playgrounds and Museums